Thursday, October 2, 2008

Maybe Insurance?

I feel like my head is going to explode.
The new company gave DH the papers on the insurance they are offering. It is still just as hellishly expensive as it was with the last company (thanks Union, I appreciate that.), but, its good insurance. It would cover quite a bit of IF and almost everything of maternity. But I'm not sure if that's worth the extra $600 a month it would cost. We can probably do it, but it would sting. A lot. And naturally I would have to get a job, but right now the only places hiring are HEB and Whataburger. So, I'd have to go back to working nights, weekends and making less than $6 an hour.
But being able to get pregnant would be worth it, right?

It might not even be an option, though. The rules with this insurance aren't clear on what qualifies as a pre-existing condition. It could be that because I just recently had an infertility consult, they wont cover any of it. So, it'd be a moot point anyway. It might only be worth it to pick up the insurance when we get ready to do IUI or IVF in hopes that I will get pregnant and the insurance will cover the pregnancy.

I think our plan right now is to wait a week or two and see if the previous company is going to call about the job here in Corpus. That job doesnt start til February, but its the company that, when there is no Union, has kick-ass, affordable insurance. And there is no Union for the job here in Corpus.
I'm not sure what to do if the HSG comes up before that two weeks. I dont want to put off the HSG. That means waiting at least one more cycle and who knows how long that will be. Could be just one month. Could be 3 or 4. Im ready to get this testing stuff done. Im ready to start seeing all those things ticked off the checklist. I really dont want to put it off now that we've finally got the ball rolling.
But putting off the HSG means that if they find something then it really will be a pre-existing condition, and if we dont get the job here in Corpus then we are royally screwed.

Im just feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all.


AND I think my little betta is dying :(
I think he has a swim bladder disorder. The general course of treatment for it is to fast him for 2-3 days, then feed him a couple of peas, then wait a day and slowly add aquarium salt to his water, and slowly build up his appetite again.
Well, Tuesday he just seemed a little off. I couldnt put my finger on what was wrong. I started the fast on Tuesday night. So, I can't feed him the pea til tomorrow. He seems to be getting worse. FAST! He's having trouble getting to the top of his tank to breathe, and when he rests at the bottom, he seems to have trouble staying upright and drifts to his right side.
I hate that he's sick. It makes me feel like crap. Makes me feel even worse that the treatment is to do nothing! I can't help him.
And if the fast and pea treatment doesnt work, then, well, there is really nothing I can do. Other than watch him die.
Ive decided though, that if he doesnt make it, no more bettas. I love them. They have their own little personalities and are so beautiful and quirky, but it just breaks my heart when they pass. He's supposed to have a 5 year lifespan and I can't keep him from getting sick in 6 months??
At least, when I have tetras it doesnt phase me too much when they pass. Its just "Oh, we lost one". Thats it.

3 comments:

Sock Monkey said...

Ani, take the insurance. Insurnace companies (future ones) cannot deny you for pre-exisiting conditions if you had continuious insurance coverage.

The worst thing you can do is go with out insurnace right now. It's worth doing some research on the laws in Texas.

Annie said...

OMG! Carrie! I love you!

I didnt know that! I'll bring it up to DH!!! Yay! Thanks so much!!

Candice said...

I second what Carrie said. And I'm really sorry about your Betta. Is he doing any better?