Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Possible PCOS

So I had blood works done, and it indicates that I have PCOS. Im just sure how serious to take the test. That stuff is supposed to be done on CD3. I had it done on CD63. To confuse things further I have read some things that say the test for the testosterone is only accurate on CD3, and other sources say that, no, its accurate any time. I called my doctor's nurse to ask about it and she said that they often do these tests mid-cycle, then do another test later on CD3 "to confirm". She said, though, that given my levels and "ovulation history and cycle lengths" its a pretty safe bet that I have PCOS anyway. Not that I disagree.
The last doc said she didn't see any reason to believe that I have PCOS, but she wanted me to try Met-- contradiction there? This new one, when I saw her, I asked her about it, and told her that I get those annoying wiry hairs on my neck and my face is always broken out, and that I really just can't lose weight, no matter what I do. She looked at my charts and said that it was "very possible" that I had it.
She still wants me to do the HSG to be sure that there are no problems there. I mean, whats the point in assaulting my body with met and Femara to make me ovulate if I have blocked tubes?

I'm kind of having trouble with the idea of having PCOS. Ive always known it was a possibility, or even probability, but I was able to push it out of my mind and console myself with "well, who cares if I have PCOS. I'm ovulating and that's 90% of the battle."
But this annovulatory cycle has kind of hit me hard. I keep going back to all my old charts and re-analyzing them. Did I really ovulate? Did I take the temps right? Am I seeing something that isnt there? Have I not gotten pregnant because I'm actually not ovulating?
I hate all of this doubt and confusion. I want to go back to the days when I was confident that I was going to get pregnant, and that it was going to be easy. It was just going to happen.
It doesnt help that my sister found out she had PCOS when she was about my age. Granted that was when PCOS was a fairly new diagnosis, but she wasn't ever able to have kids. That worries me. I know she's come to terms with it, but It was a long road to get there. Plus, it really upset my (step)mom to see my (step)sister go through all of that (I didnt know how much til recently when I started opening up to her about all of this IF crap) and I dont want to be responsible for putting her through all of that all over again.
I'm trying so desperately not to think about it. It's just too much. Too overwhelming. Mostly because I'm still pretty sure that I have endo. I mean, possibly PCOS and Endo? Do I have any chance at all to get pregnant? I just can't bear thinking about it. But I can't bear ignoring it either.


The good news, though, is we filled out the paperwork for the new insurance. We're officially covered. Right now we are really only covered for emergencies. So, if DH goes in to anaphylaxis or if I fall down the stairs again and break a bone, we are covered. Yay. We just have to wait for the cards to be covered for anything else.
One draw back is that while reading through all of that stuff, we saw that there's a $10,000 limit on infertility. *grumbles* So, why would they even bother putting that they cover up to 6 IUIs and 2 IVFs if they only cover $10k? Wouldnt an HSG, lap and 2 IUIs take up every dime of that $10k? But I can't complain too much because that saves us $10k, and keeps us from having to take out a home equity loan to pay for getting pregnant and the pregnancy.
Plus, now I can maybe get the oral surgery done that I need, and DH can go to an allergist like he's been needing to since he was in high school. That's a major load off.

So, today is kind of another new beginning in this TTC/IF journey. First day of Metformin. Here's hoping that the Met is different that almost any drug I've ever taken and gives me very few side effects. Hey, a girl can dream, right?

0 comments: